Impugning the Integrity of Medical Science
1) "Journal editors must seriously consider funding sources and authors'
disclosed financial conflicts of interest and financial relationships when deciding
whether to publish a study or review."
2) "For-profit [drug] companies that sponsor biomedical research studies should
not be solely or primarily involved in collecting and monitoring of data, in
conducting the data analysis, and in preparing the manuscript reporting study
3) "All journals must require a statistical analysis of clinical trial data conducted
by a statistician who is not an employee of a for-profit [drug] company."
4) "Professional organizations and providers of continuing medical education
courses should not condone or tolerate for-profit companies having any input into
the content of educational materials or providing funding or sponsorship for medical
5) "Individual physicians must be free of financial influences of pharmaceutical
and medical device companies including serving on speaker's bureaus or accepting